Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: On Neutral Networks, settlements and freeconference

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:28:54 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "RJR RJRiley.com" <RJR () RJRILEY com>
Date: March 20, 2007 3:14:34 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Re: On Neutral Networks, settlements and freeconference

Dave,

Why don't one or more of the advocacy groups take legal action? That is the
only way to effectively stop the telcos.

Most certainly there is no love of Telco's in the inventor community because they have a long history of pirating inventions and then abusing the process
of law to bankrupt inventors.  In fact, it is such corporate abuse of
inventors which drives them to use contingency litigators, a patent
enforcement company, or to sell their rights outright to such an entity.
When we do this the large corporate bullies when whine about patent trolls. But it is a fact that if they dealt reputably with the inventor in the first
place that they would not have to deal with patent infringement actions.
Also, they would pay out a fraction of the money by being reputable.

A good example of this was the RIM v. NTP Blackberry case. RIM spent a ton of money on public relations and lobbying trying to paint that settlement as an injustice, but there is a reason that it went all the way to the Supreme Court and they received no sympathy. The reason is that the record of RIM's conduct put them in a very unfavorable light. The Bottom line is that if they had approached the case with the right mindset they probably could have
licensed for perhaps 5 million, but instead they tried to screw the
inventor, were caught in a multitude of indiscretions, and in the end it
cost them over 600 million. It was all about unbridled egos and what I view
as a lack of ethics and morality.

By the way, RIM has themselves in another pickle and management will likely
be buying much more personal lube in the not so distant future.
http://wiki.eatoni.com/wiki/index.php/Litigation  God, they are slow
learners.

Ronald J. Riley,

President - www.PIAUSA.org - RJR at PIAUSA.org
Executive Director - www.InventorEd.org - RJR at InvEd.org
Washington, DC
Direct (202) 318-1595 - 9 am to 9 pm EST.