Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: On Neutral Networks, settlements and freeconference

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 07:05:23 -0400

I agree except .. djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: March 19, 2007 6:39:36 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Re: [IP] On Neutral Networks, settlements and freeconference

Dave,

Brad's discussion about non-neutrality in the public switched
telephone network is technically accurate, but given that major
changes in that model are likely to be s-l-o-w in coming -- and for
all we know might make things even worse -- we need to concentrate
on the current situation -- the blocking of numbers and services by
the cell carriers.

Remember, 99+% of telephone users don't have a clue about telco
termination fees and cross-subsidies (other than verbiage buried
in bill inserts that are rarely read), just as they're oblivious
to the complexities of Internet exchange points and peering.
Rather, they expect phone calls, and Internet connections, to
just work.

If the cell carriers don't like the current termination situation,
they have every right to complain to the FCC -- and no doubt they'll
get a better hearing and a more sympathetic ear than ordinary consumers
ever do.

But for the carriers to simply cut off access to legal services because
they don't like the current economics is utterly unacceptable and
cannot be permitted to stand.

The very mindset that leads to such outrageous actions is what
causes many observers -- including myself -- to draw comparisons
with broad network neutrality concerns. [ it is a mistake to over generalize . Solve the immediate problem. Let the FCC show they can stop such actions and the need for other paths diminishes djf ]

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Founder, CIFIP
   - California Initiative For Internet Privacy - http://www.cifip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com

 - - -

Begin forwarded message: