Interesting People mailing list archives

Iiiiiiinnnnntttttrrrrrrroduuuucing ... the VISTASTATION!!!!!!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 18:45:22 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mike Padlipsky <the.map () alum mit edu>
Date: March 18, 2007 7:33:41 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: said submission

Iiiiiiinnnnntttttrrrrrrroduuuucing ... the VISTASTATION!!!!!!

[We'll get to the musical theme later.]

Having told my estate attorney the story of where I heard the profound line "I've got to spend more money on myself; after all, I don't like my heirs all that much" and been told in response "You really ought to apply that principle to yourself more often" a few days before, I was in no condition to resist the temptation to buy a notebook computer [it turned out to be too hot and heavy to call it a laptop] a few days later when I spotted an ad for what looked like "good iron" at a very attractive price.

Not that I need a notebook computer, just that since I already had a hand-me-down wireless router around the house and it came with "WiFi", as well as a full gig of RAM and a 120gig hard drive as well as 4 USB ports and Bluetooth and Firewire and a DVD burner, among other things I don't associate with sub-$700 (after rebates) notebooks, muchless less machines from a formerly reliable "name brand" manufacturer (assuming They honor the mail-in rebates, anyway), I figured it'd be nice to be able to get at the 'Net from the living room. And besides, in addition to my fondness for bargains it did count as an extravagance of sorts, even if it won't cost my heirs much in the long run.

The trouble is, as I only learned after the 14-day return period had elapsed, I hadn't bought a notebook computer, I'd bought a Vistastation 1.

That is, like the Playstation 2, say, which is meant for playing Playstation games with but does have a computer inside that can be gotten at if you know what you're doing and work moderately hard at it so that you aren't constrained only to use it for playing Playstation games, I thought I'd be able to get at the computer inside the on-sale Lenovo 3000 N100 with only a moderate amount of work and use it for doing things other than running Vista programs. Specifically, dual-booting Linux. But after far too much work, I'm left with the conviction that unless I go to an undesirable amount of trouble after almost every time I'm incautious enough to run Vista, I'm left with a machine that only doesn't even do Vista things.

First and foremost, that's because, as probably everybody reading this knows but I didn't, in advance, the Redmond Ratfinks mess the Master Boot Record up, so after I painstakingly installed a Linux "distro" (Ubuntu 6.10, "Edgy Eft", actually), if I then boot Vista I can't even boot Vista again without getting the MBR back into a state where the Linux bootloader "Grub" can function again. Well, make that usually can't even boot Vista again, since it appears that if no "updates" were snuck in behind my back the MBR doesn't necessarily get trashed -- but I've wasted too much time on all this foolishness to bother to confirm that ... especially since I'm not even sure how to tell whether any updates were snuck in behind my back, unless searching for everything created, or maybe created and/or modified, in the last day would work; but I am sure than when I explicitly accepted a batch of explicitly offerred updates the world went to pieces.

(The notebook doesn't have a floppy drive to put Grub on, of course, so unless the trick a friend mentioned earlier today does work and I can install Grub on a CD-ROM to boot from, I'll have to keep having recourse to "Super Grub Disc" or the like to un-mess the MBR. But even if all I have to do is to leave a Grub CD-ROM in all the time, I shouldn't have to do that.)

And don't try to tell me the Redmonk Ratfinks have a good security rationale for mucking about with the MBR. For that matter, if anybody thinks the improved security claims hold water, unless part of Their "certified for Vista" effort includes an unpublicized requirement that all applications separate program from data, which has been in the literature as a sine qua non for secure operating systems since around 1965, whatever incremental additional security Their semi- incomprehensible new bootload folderol imparts doesn't improve it enough to justify the MBR fallout.

Nor can you let Them have their way with the MBR and use Their new bootload. Unless what their pathetic excuse for documentation says is false, you can only multiple-boot other Ratfinksware with their native mechanism for multiple-booting, so at best you get a Ratfinksware box. Not only that, but "oldest OS first" means that you've got to have a real installer for Vista, which bloodyLenovo -- along with many, if not indeed most, other manufacturers -- does not provide these years. Since Their2 "Rescue and Recovery" squishware starts out by wiping the entire hard drive clean, though, if you need to reinstall Vista for any reason, whether because it got messed up or because you want to multi-boot Their way, there goes your "older" Microsoft pathetic excuse for an OS, even if you're willing to settle for a Ratfinksware box.

(Nor could I get bloodyLenovo to say that They2'd fix Rescue and Repair to respect pre-existing partitions, of course.)

Now, "virtual machine" me no virtual machines as a possible alternative solution. A computer should be dual-bootable if it's a computer; virtual machines, which may or may not even work in this grotesque context, shouldn't be necessary. Unless you've got a Vistastation and the Ratfinks' virtual machines do happen to work for Linux, anyway....

Granted, it takes some complicity from the manufactures on the reinstall front, but what Microsoft is foisting off on the public is only good for doing Vista things, no matter how hard you try to get it to run Linux, too -- hence in that sense, it's not even as good as a Playstation, since I'm given to believe they at least can be coerced into being both computers and Playstation game players.

So as at least a warning to others about what they'd be getting if they got a machine that "came with Vista" -- and even if they were foolish enough to buy a Vista installer -- if you didn't know it already, now you do know: get Vista, wind up with a Vistatation 1 ... or maybe 1a, if you count being able to make it do other Microsoft pathetic excuses for operating systems if you have the requisite installers.

In addition to the warning, naturally, I'd be delighted to hear from counsel who'd be interested in bringing suit against the Ratfinks and bloodyLenovo, among others, over Their implicit false advertising (that They're selling computers rather than Vista-boxes), and Their de facto restraint of trade behavior, over Their MBR depradations. Plus any other charges that might occur to anybody, lawyers or not; going after the manufacturers separately for complicity because of the partitioning-ignoring reinstallations comes immediately to mind.

Indeed, it might be rather classy to do a class action, even if the judgment would doubtless be so large that it'd never be paid because of the infinite string of appeals They'd generate ....

Oh, yeah, about that musical accompaniment. Since it's apparently traditional to use a Rolling Stones song with "launches" (or so I'm given to believe; I don't do Rolling Stones; I've never heard "Start Me Up"; indeed, I had to searchengineer that it's Start Me Up, not Start It Up), the one for Vista should be:

I dont WANT no VISstuh-stay-shun, I dont WANT no VISstuh-stay-shun....

(Appropriate turns of phrase on getting what you want and getting what you need left as an exercise.)

cheers, map

Michael A. Padlipsky
< http://www.lafn.org/~ba213/mapstuff.html >

Mr. Padlipsky is one of the Old Network Boys (indeed, the coiner of the term) and the author of The Elements of Networking Style and Other Essays and Animadversions on the Art of Intercomputer Networking, "the world's only known Constructively Snotty computer science book" (©1985, reprinted ©2000).

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now