Interesting People mailing list archives

Beyond evil twin hotspots -- the pervasive retaking of control

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:40:19 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: March 17, 2007 2:02:52 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Beyond evil twin hotspots -- the pervasive retaking of control

Preface – this is a bit rambling because there are a number of interrelated issues. But it’s a reminder that the world of telecom is full of twisting and winding passages. We’re so used to spelunking the depths of telecom that it’s hard to accept the simplicity of the Internet – after all, how could we get from point A to B without wandering those imaginary passages – they seem so very real.

Rereading my own comments reminds me of a related problem and why I had to dump FiOSTV. Too bad our public policy on broadband and net neutrality is based on these kind of naïve dependences such as assuming we have the Internet because of rather than despite broadband (AKA B-ISDN). Ultimately the net is about what we can do as owners. Even if we don’t (yet) own the infrastructure we use End-to- End principles to wrest control as in the days of modems (vs ISDN).

Before getting to router issues I had a reminder of how many traps there are for the unwary or disabled. I’m helping someone with mental illness. She doesn’t remember but apparently placed a number of operator-assisted calls to her son in Israel in January -- $1000 worth. That may seem like a lot but at $10/minute it doesn’t take long. These calls would be 10¢ if she dialed direct and had bet $4/ month with Verizon (the fee for reducing the cost of 10x for international calls).

It’s one thing to be trapped by “evil twin routers” but another to have to be wary when dealing with your “friendly” phone company just placing calls. A single misdial to Djibouti (similar number) cost $50! I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that Verizon is insisting on payment though how does one justify a factor of 100x cost difference. Even more extreme when you consider this person has a DSL connection and thus there needn’t have been any charge at all. What is especially frustrating is that unlike the Internet there is no easy way to put a rule in the system – specs are specs and that’s that. This is indeed lottery pricing that would not be possible if there were real competition rather than faux competition within the gaming rules set by the FCC.

It’s an echo of the Moldova scandal when people downloaded programs that would dial Moldova and were forced to pay the outrageous charges. At least back then we weren’t use to using VoIP which made it so obvious the costs are totally bogus. Yet our policy makers seem to treat them as real.

The tendency to treat these artifacts as if they were immovable physical objects is a source of frustration for those of us who know these are just conventions and not real at all. I compare it to approximating 1.3 as 1 and then 1.3+1.3+1.3 = 3.000 when we then reintroduce presumed precision. Piling policy atop policy while treating each arbitrary model as reality seems to be the hallmark of our regulatory system.

It’s against this backdrop that the acceptance of broadband is so dangerous – the Verizon FiOSTV router is part of the campaign to take bake control that goes far beyond mere non-neutrality. Remember that convergence means everything converges on IMS and 3G.

I use a Dual-WAN router for reliability but also because I sometimes get higher speeds using multiple pipes. Since MIT is peered directly with the local providers I was able to achieve over 30mbps when copying files using Bit Torrent. Normally BT is far slower than copying directly simply because of asymmetric connections and the low probability of proximate caching. Too bad a number of web sites seem to rely on the IP address across sessions – the statelessness requirement doesn’t get tested often enough so it’s forgotten.

When I decided to try out FiOSTV I found I had to use their router. The specs are very good for the Antec but then phone companies revel in specs. In practice it seems to have problems due to limits on NAT tables and other issues that others have written about. At first I put up with the problems and cascaded one path of my Dual WAN router through it. But since only Verizon could fix the problem I would have to wait till they deemed it in their interest. After all, they had to deal with millions of users and a single exception wasn't that important.

This is a repeat of the X.400/SMTP battle. X.400 took ten years for a change cycle whereas SMTP took a weekend but you can fix your own bugs immediately and even try out new features.

I had a similar experience in speaking to a CTO at a cellular manufacturer -- he looked to corporate buyers for implementing new features. A corporation would buy a few thousand just to run an application so it made sense from his perspective even if it denied us wonderful surprises. We see this all over – it is why, as I've noted in the past, the STB (Set Top Boxes) can't compete with PC gamer video boards for dealing with compression.

The FiOSTV situation gives us additional cause for concern as they insist in owning the wires in my home -- again -- because they say the Internet wasn't designed for video bits – we “know” that only RG-6 can carry video. This whole broadband issue does make a mockery of neutrality -- if the first mile playing field is vertical why does the rest matter much? It’s as if they are trying to return us to 1960 when they were in full control of the wires and devices in our homes.

Once caveat is that Dual WAN routers for consumers seem to have appeared in 2004 and are still stuck there. Another reminder that as much as we can do as individuals we have to build on what is available. As I much as I do want to program it all myself I do need many others contributing their efforts in order to create opportunity. The alternative of waiting for a small number of companies to accidentally do what is my interest, especially when it is conflict with theirs, is indeed problematic. Even more problematic is asking Congress for favors rather eliminating the need to ask them by giving us the rights of ownership.

http://www.frankston.com/?Name=FTCBBW for more on the policy issues.