Interesting People mailing list archives

More DST fall-out

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:43:16 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: March 11, 2007 1:11:09 PM EDT
To: Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: More DST fall-out

From http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/daylightsaving/default.mspx

This is a reminder of the problem of representation. While it’s useful to represent all dates as a time in seconds from a base time that’s often very wrong. Too bad we don’t have a common representation that can indicate that 11AM means 11AM by the local clock in a given time zone. Thus if the conference call is 11AM New York time and I’m living Paris I will be notified appropriately even if I’m passing through Indiana which seems to have it’s own notion of DST.

Of course we have events on lunar calendars and other calendars though I don’t know how far we should push the representation issue. If we have a holiday whose rule is “use the lunar calendar except when another religion is using that day and then …”. Or we may have events on a Star Trek calendar.

But the common case of coordinating events tied to the time in a particular place on Earth are common enough to warrant common handing – being told someone’s birthday started at 23:00 the day before is not only silly but risks truncation errors.

After reading the suggestions below I can’t help but ask – if you know this why don’t you fix the programs rather than the users?

In fact, when I was at Microsoft I urged putting the time zone information into the CMOS along with the clock information so you run into another fun foible – having multiple operating systems or apps each trying to fix DST without knowing about the other. Or simply getting totally confused when flying to or from Japan.

Installation tips

·                         Rapid succession of steps is important
Run the Outlook Time Zone Update Tool on your PC as soon as possible after the DST update is applied to all of your PCs. If meetings between March 11, 2007 and April 1, 2007 are scheduled after the DST files are installed but before the tool is run, meetings will erroneously be moved one hour earlier. To correct such calendar items, organizers should manually update such meetings to ensure they are scheduled accurately for themselves and all invitees.

·                         All connected devices must be updated
Even if you correctly update your PC with the DST 2007 update, when you view your calendar from a non-updated mobile device running Windows Mobile, your meetings during the extended DST period will be shifted by one hour. Meetings created on your non-updated device will need to be updated on your PC by running the Outlook Time Zone Update Tool again.

· If some users have not updated their Outlook, it will affect other users The Outlook Time Zone Update Tool only updates meetings for which the user is the organizer, and then automatically sends updates for those meetings to attendees. Meetings that you are invited to but did not organize will not be updated until the organizer updates the meeting and prompts you to change to the correct time. Additionally, meetings created by a delegate on your behalf from an non-updated PC will need to be updated on your PC by running the Outlook Time Zone Update Tool again.

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now