Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Cell phones don't interefere with hospital devices

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 09:41:16 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Steven J. Davidson" <davidson () pobox com>
Date: March 10, 2007 6:02:54 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: RE: [IP] Cell phones don't interefere with hospital devices

Dave-

Well, no. It's not the revenue, at least it's not the revenue at the 30 or so hospitals with which I'm familiar through semi-regular meetings with the
physician IT champions and leaders.

Hospitals are bureaucratic and conservative; mostly because of the legal and
regulatory environment they inhabit. That's enough of a reason. The
relatively unsophisticated implementations and management of
telecommunication technologies in many hospitals perhaps is an additional
contributor

In our organization, which has allowed cell phone usage for about two years now, we had some objections over the unclear benefit of the change to the
organization itself and the fear of social disruptions: that some
people--staff, patients, family and others--may behave rudely.

Regards to you and your list./Steve
--
Steven J. Davidson, MD, MBA, Chair, Emerg. Med. | Maimonides Med. Ctr.
4802 Tenth Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11219 | 718.283.6030/6042 voice/fax