Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: videotaping of violence NOT outlawed in France

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 14:23:03 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: DV Henkel-Wallace <dvhw () talima com>
Date: March 8, 2007 12:20:50 PM EST
To: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Cc: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: videotaping of violence NOT outlawed in France

The two countries aren't that different, really. But certainly in France, the folks likely to whack someone are the CRS (sort of like a SWAT team, but with far more autonomy), and you _don't_ film them; you give them a _wide_ berth and try not to catch their attention. You have rights, but with only two exceptions I can think of, these guys have generally been able to act above the law.

In the USA I teach my kid that the cops are your friends...but will he still believe it when he's older? I hope so. Over the past couple of decades the rules here (US) have become far more punitive. Oddly it hasn't seemed to have made for a more civil society.

-d

Date: March 7, 2007 5:56:10 PM EST
From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>

Does videotaping an incident where the police are beating up a demonstrator or a criminal (unnecessarily) amount to "in order to get a proof in justice"? This might be a matter of some concern depending on how one must demonstrate intent at the time of taking the videotape. If it were America, I'd suggest taping a label on your camera - "all footage being taken by me are intended for use in court as proof, should I need the video for that purpose". Such a declaration might not work in France as a statement of (potential) intent - especially if I were taking the photos or video as a means of spying on the government. I understand that in France everything that is not permitted is forbidden.

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now