Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: videotaping of violence NOT outlawed in France

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:21:33 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: March 7, 2007 5:56:10 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] videotaping of violence NOT outlawed in France

Does videotaping an incident where the police are beating up a demonstrator or a criminal (unnecessarily) amount to "in order to get a proof in justice"? This might be a matter of some concern depending on how one must demonstrate intent at the time of taking the videotape. If it were America, I'd suggest taping a label on your camera - "all footage being taken by me are intended for use in court as proof, should I need the video for that purpose". Such a declaration might not work in France as a statement of (potential) intent - especially if I were taking the photos or video as a means of spying on the government. I understand that in France everything that is not permitted is forbidden.

Begin forwarded message: