Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: a question on what I buy when I get a broadband connection.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 08:53:56 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Brett Glass <brett () lariat net>
Date: March 6, 2007 9:58:14 PM EST
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: mo () ccr org
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: a question on what I buy when I get a broadband connection.

At 12:26 AM 3/1/2007, Mike O'Dell wrote:

for most purposes, i'd much rather have a 100 megabit bearer that
requires me to be less than 6 megabits averaged over 5 minutes 95% of
the time than a 6 megabit bearer that guarantees me 6 megabits all the
time.  the former is likely much cheaper as well.

We are an ISP that currently specializes in "guaranteed" bandwidth. We like doing this because customers can verify that they are getting what they pay for (speed tests are meaningful) and we can do adequate planning.

We do offer links which can burst faster, but the trouble is that customers are never quite satisfied with EVER being throttled back or not giving them the absolute maximum speed we claim. (Whenever a provider claims a burst speed, some customers expect to be able to get it always and indefinitely.)

The bandwidth hogs want -- or hope -- to be subsidized by the subscribers who use relatively little bandwidth rather than paying more for their excessive usage. Some providers (e.g. our local cable company) actually allow this, but can't indefinitely or their bandwidth will be consumed by such things as BitTorrent and GNUtella.

We also find that in some situations a company wants consistent bandwidth, but its employees want to do things which require burstable bandwidth and/or hog the company's share of our bandwidth. (This is a delicate political issue that can easily get you fired as a provider, because many of the activities which hog the bandwidth are recreational and shouldn't be done at work.)

When a user hogs the bandwidth we provide to a business, that business often complains that things are slow. But when we demonstrate that we're giving it what we promised and internal users are hogging it, they aren't satisfied by this explanation -- especially if the person hogging the bandwidth happens to be a manager or the IT person himself! Instead, they often go shopping for another provider, hoping that the other provider will give them more than they pay for.

Our inclination (which may be misguided) is that what you get should reflect what you pay, and that rather than allowing cross- subsidization we should instead cut prices for the light users.

In any event, I am trying to figure out how best to structure our services so that the largest possible percentage of our customers are satisfied, none feel shortchanged, and we are able to make a fair profit on the commodity (bandwidth) that we resell. To what extent should we trade "burstability" for consistency? How much inconsistency are users willing to accept? And what should we do about the true bandwidth hogs, which are all too common in a college town such as ours (though there are businesses whose employees do it too)?

There seem to be several common policy approaches when a user hogs bandwidth:

* Slap his hand  -- e.g. with an extra charge;

* Cut his bandwidth back after a certain amount of time (at which point you immediately get a call claiming that something must be wrong because their trading of pirated movies is slow);

* Throttle only the bandwidth hogs, intentionally causing them to switch to your competitors so that they overburden the competitors' networks; or

* Do nothing, claim that the bandwidth you get is the peak bandwidth of your equipment, let the pipes fill up, and hope that not too many users complain. (This is what the cable companies seem to be doing.)

I'd be interested in hearing from the members of the IP community as to what approach they would recommend -- both from their own selfish perspectives (if they imagine themselves to be my customers) and from our perspective as a provider. So far, we've gone for the dedicated bandwidth approach because we have a fixed performance benchmark to meet instead of a nebulous demand for "fast enough." Should we stick to our guns? Comments welcome.

--Brett Glass

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now