Interesting People mailing list archives

cellphones on planes

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 10:31:42 -0400

AMTRAK has the quiet cars  djf

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ron Guerin <ron () vnetworx net>
Date: March 25, 2007 6:11:15 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] cellphones on planes

David Farber wrote:
Begin forwarded message:

From: "Mike O'Dell" <mo () ccr org>
Date: March 25, 2007 12:39:34 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: cellphones on planes

Bob Frankston undermines his own point with an extrapolation into the
ridiculous.  It's not about technology or Luddism, it's about polite
behavior in a public space and reasonable concern over the expected
escalation of impoliteness that would result from turning an airliner
into a communal phone booth. The state of "Modern Air Travel" has
already made "Greyhound in the sky" a charitable description of the
experience - the addition of numerous people shouting at invisible
parties would make it seem all the more like The NY Port Authority Bus
Terminal, not merely a bus ride.

In theory, one could have it both ways.  I deal with cellphones on the
commuter rails, and I find the ringtones worse than the conversations,
which are pretty annoying.  However, a possible compromise from the not
so distant past may be worth considering.  The railroad used to operate
a smoking car, where those who cared to, could go inhale the exhaust of
 a hundred or so other smokers through their cigarettes.

I would welcome a "cell phone car", where those who think that loudly
sharing with strangers their ringtones and household instructions to
their spouse is a wonderful thing can be together... away from the rest
of us.

- Ron

(for IP if you want)

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now