Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: One of four U.S. jobs headed overseas 1 and comment on

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:29:00 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com>
Date: June 14, 2007 12:10:13 AM EDT
To: Mike Cheponis <mac () wireless com>
Cc: David Farber <dave () farber net>, Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>
Subject: Re: [IP] One of four U.S. jobs headed overseas 1 and comment on

Well, that will get them far when the entire economy collapses and the US becomes the cheap labor pool cause they don't have any practical skills and all the goods and services have to come from overseas.

The differential in pay between the US and India / China will not stay so unbalanced and there are other ways to compete other than just salaries.

We have too many lawyers, bankers and "entertainers". None of those people create wealth. They just manipulate laws, money or consumers' psychology.

The next wave of wealth creation will be in areas like materials, bio- tech and quantum computing. The US is falling behind in all of these fields as less US citizens are capable of discerning reality from spin and have no grasp of basic scientific principals. The main reason that high tech work is going overseas is not just because of salary, but because there are many more folks there with more engineering skills than here. In India and China, being an engineer is high prestige. They are producing MANY more science/engineering graduates than we are.

Young people of today need to be preparing themselves to compete with brain power, science and engineering. We need to be making our society more efficient in every dimension to make us more competitive, that too will take science and engineering.

Instead we have been doing the opposite. Dumbing down students, rewarding unreality tv fame over real creativity and stifling innovation thru re-privatization / monopolization of key infrastructure.

The US is hurtling into making itself a 3rd world nation because it encourages its children to be lawyers, bankers, spin-meister politicians and unreality TV stars.