Interesting People mailing list archives

Appologies -- message sent to IP from "Aku Ubah"[PTN.20070611.0210C]

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 14:44:06 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Listbox Customer Support <support () listbox com>
Date: June 11, 2007 1:08:04 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: message sent to IP from "Aku Ubah"[PTN.20070611.0210C]

Dave:

Earlier today, a Listbox exploit was discovered by a spammer.  As a
result, this spammer was able to send a message to IP and one other
list, without verification from you or the other affected listowner.
I'm very sorry any inconvenience this may cause you or your list
subscribers.

We discovered what was going on before this person was able to send mail
to any other lists, but I deeply apologize for this lapse of security.
We have already disabled the controls used to exploit the system, and we
are closing the backend approval vulnerabilities now.  Changes are also
being made to any "mail to" options available on the site, to prevent
them from being abused in more limited ways, and an announcement will be
posted explaining those changes later today.

Again, you have my humblest apologies.  If you have any further
questions or issues I can handle for you, please let me know.

cheers
Melissa Curran
Customer Service
support () listbox com
http://www.listbox.com

DO NOT DELETE THIS LINE.  Ticket is PTN.20070611.0210C