Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The vanishing American computer programmer]]

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:40:05 -0400 (EDT)

Subject: Re: [IP] The vanishing American computer programmer]
From:    "Jean Camp" <ljeanc () gmail com>
Date:    Mon, July 16, 2007 10:10 am
To:      dave () farber net

On Jul 15, 2007, at 8:08 PM, David Farber wrote:

I'm sympathetic to the issue, but I worry that simplifying the
debate on
outsourcing of intellectual production to the H1-B issue is silly, for
the following reason.

Bits cross boundaries quite easily.   If we make it hard for
programmers
to work here in the US, they can work in Finland, Estonia, Bangalore,
Taiwan, etc.

"silly" is a good word to describe your argument, indeed.

HB-1 visas make it hard for programmers to work in the US because
they are constrained, limit the ability of the worker, and force
trained people with great social networks back to their home countries.

Imagine if all the Italians, Germans and Irish who built the American
industrial revolution were forced home in the bank panics of the
1890s. America's advantage in knowledge would have vaporized.

HB-1 visas, like all guest worker programs, are inherently
exploitive. If a company wants to hire a non-citizen, the company
should be willing to pay either a salary-based percentage of their
pay or some flat amount. Then, that person is a citizen. We need a
digital Ellis Island. Not your kind of tortured logic.

Rather than focusing on the mechanics of programming we should be
focusing
on understanding how to solve problems and, at a deeper level
understanding
the contexts and thus what it means to solve a problem. It sounds
as if
programming is being treated as just another skill one can be
trained for
rather than a skill that is part of becoming educated and thus
capable of
doing far more.

Indeed, we should understand the OBVIOUS ORGANIZATIONAL and POLITICAL
issues. There is two threats to workers under HB-1: exploitation of
HB-1 employees and off-shoring. Making those people who are here
under the limited indentured servitude of HB-1 into citizens will
mitigate those problems.

If there were truly a problem with lack of supply, as opposed to lack
of easy-to-exploit and underpaid supply that has no right to change
jobs, then employers would also be seeking to  kill HB-1 and make
highly skilled individuals into full American citizens. The lack of
an employer voice indicating the "need" for such a change illustrates
the employer strategic interest in the program.

Anyone talented enough for a HB-1 would be an enhancement to
American as a citizen. Denying them citizenship is about denying them
rights, making them vulnerable to exploitation, and nothing more.

regards,
Jean