Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: [ I know this will raise a storm djf] Hackers make progress towards unlocking iPhone

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 17:15:47 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "RJR RJRiley.com" <RJR () RJRILEY com>
Date: July 4, 2007 4:57:59 PM EDT
To: "'Robert J. Berger'" <rberger () ibd com>
Cc: "'Dewayne Hendricks'" <dewayne () warpspeed com>, "'David Farber'" <dave () farber net> Subject: RE: [IP] Re: [ I know this will raise a storm djf] Hackers make progress towards unlocking iPhone

Dave, my comments were intended to raise a storm:)  You are welcome to
publish this response if you like.

The inventor community sees a different side of many companies. What the
project via their massive public relations efforts and reality are very
different. Perhaps a year or so ago I expressed reservations on IP about Google and their so called do no evil. I think that today many more people
recognize that Google has the potential to turn in a monster, or perhaps
they are already one. In my opinion Apple has long been another mindless
self-serving greedy monster.  Most certainly it is good for these
possibilities to be publicly raised and discussed.

Apple really screwed up when they went to a closed architecture. The Mac, iPod and iPhone are more of the same. There is absolutely no way I would
purchase any of these products because they are by design crippled.  I
always look at the total life cycle costs of products and Apple does not
fare well on that basis. I look at utility, and Apple's attempts to lock
their products down make then unacceptable from a utility point of view.

Now the question is what would Apple be today if the Mac had been open? I am willing to bet that they would have much more of the market. They might
have even completely displaced the IBM platform.

Regarding the other comment about my being mad over the Lisa. That was not the case, I was disappointed that Apple did a complete flip even as IBM was
smart enough (a rare event then and now) to walk away form that business
model.  At the time one of my responsibilities was corporate PC
specifications, and Apple's introduction caused me to completely dump them
as a vendor.  That is a story which was repeated all across industry.

What I am mad about is that Apple is now well known for taking liberties
with other's intellectual property. They are no longer an innovator which
produces anything of import.  Apple could evaporate tomorrow and the
majority of people who not even notice their absence. Apple has become much like Japanese companies, they are good at the details of combining others
inventions but not so hot at inventing.

Especially troubling is Apple's involvement with a band of patent pirating companies. Birds of a feather do flock together, and when one examines the misdeeds of these companies there is no doubt about their lack of moral and
ethical backbone in my mind.  Companies like Apple got their start as
innovators and now they are doing their best to make sure that subsequent
generations are denied the same opportunities.

Apple could win me back by withdrawing from the Coalition of Patent fairness
and PIRACY, switching to open architecture, and recognizing that if they
cannot invent themselves that it is time to embrace and deal reputability
with those who do.  That means making all the inventors who they have
shafted via abuse of the process of law whole. It also means that they need
to stop the PR campaign of painting their victims as large ugly vicious
patent trolls.

The reality is that few companies are surprised by an inventor. Most know
that they are stealing years before they get sued.

Here is the truth about the process. After inventing something inventors start shopping for a nice home for their baby. They talk to companies, and some companies listen to gather information, say they are not interested, and a year of two later introduce a product using the invention. At that
point the inventor goes back, and tries to license the invention again.
Typically that process goes on for a year or two, and it is then that the inventor looks for a big bad and mean contingency patent enforcement entity
to adjust the infringer's attitude.  The infringer could settle at this
point, but if they figure they can make a killing while delaying the case in
court and run the inventor and their investors into bankruptcy they
continue. First they use as many procedural delaying tactics as possible. Then when they get into the trial they might commit fraud on the court (RIM
& Blackberry and Microsoft and the Eolas are examples of this).

At this point the Court is fed up with the patent pirate and throws the book at them. The pirate conducts a massive public relations campaign to paint the victim as an abuser and at the same time buys influence in the USPTO. The USPTO then uses procedural and bureaucratic BS to tie up the inventor, typically by invalidating the patents. The patent pirate crows about bad patents, using the invalidation which is likely to be overturned as public relations fodder. Years later the patents are likely to be upheld, but that
is a quiet event.

All this can take a decade or two, and meanwhile the inventor has been
denied the revenue they needed to continue to invent or to launch their own company. The next IBM, Apple, HP etc. was stillborn. The status quo was
maintained and a company which should have expired uses the profits they
stole from each inventor to prey on the next.

Eventually these companies end up like the auto industry.  IBM, Intel,
Micron, Cisco, Dell are all probably within a decade of expiring. Apple's
is perhaps two decades away.  The problem is that older companies are
getting away with destroying the young companies. The cost to society is
tremendous.