Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Hackers make progress towards unlocking iPhone

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 11:16:25 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: July 4, 2007 10:49:41 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Re: [IP] Hackers make progress towards unlocking iPhone

Windows Mobile 5 and 6 devices, including the air modules and other
networking aspects, has been available for a very long time.  Some
of it might be defined as hacks (such as alternate ROMs for different
basic functionality), but the WM5/6 architecture was designed from
the word go for third party apps that weren't crippled by the
manufacturer (especially in the case of PDAs -- some smartphones
might need easily available unlock procedures to run other than
signed third party apps in some situations).  But at the very least
MS built a straightforward architecture for third party apps to have
essentially complete access to the phone in virtually all respects,
realizing that such apps were key to long term success of such
devices.

I'm obviously not an MS booster generally (by any stretch of the
imagination), but I marvel at how many of the same people who so
strongly endorse open source systems (which I very strongly support)
also salivate over an Apple phone missing many of the fundamental
features of existing smartphones and PDAs, and that was designed to
be the exact antithesis of truly open, all the way down to the
battery!

By the way, using the iPhone during winter in cold climates might be
interesting, if most gloves prevent proper touch screen operation.
A lot of cut off gloves and blue fingertips in the future?

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Founder, CIFIP
   - California Initiative For Internet Privacy - http://www.cifip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com

 ------

Begin forwarded message: