Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: [ I know this will raise a storm djf] Hackers make progress towards unlocking iPhone

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 11:08:28 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "RJR RJRiley.com" <RJR () RJRILEY com>
Date: July 4, 2007 6:55:57 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] Hackers make progress towards unlocking iPhone

Dave, for IP if you wish.

I and many of my peer group have little use for Apple. I was a huge fan of
Apple until the Lisa project (Apple III & miserable failure, shortly
followed by the Mac).  I promptly dumped them at that point.

I think that Apple is a good example of a company who started as an
innovator and then as they aged they became just one more large corporate
parasite.  The iPod revealed them to have pirated others intellectual
property and I am willing to bet that the iPhone has also been built on
unauthorized use of others intellectual property.

Could this be why Apple is a card carrying member to the Coalition for
Patent fairness & PIRACY?

Today Apple is another example of a company who uses massive advertising and
hype as a substitute for their inability to produce any significant
inventions.  When coupled with their egos and their "we can take what we
want mindset" I think it is inevitable that they stagnate.  If a company
cannot invent anything significant themselves and they have alienated those
who do, they are doomed to stagnate.

In my opinion, this is why Apple has become so innovative at hype and their
hallmark is creating cult like cultures which persuade people to pay far
more for their products than they are worth. It is a shame, because Apple
could have been so much more.

Ronald J. Riley,

President - www.PIAUSA.org - RJR at PIAUSA.org
Executive Director - www.InventorEd.org - RJR at InvEd.org
Washington, DC
Direct (202) 318-1595 - 9 am to 9 pm EST.

Begin forwarded message: