Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The shopping carts have cooties.

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 16:48:10 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Andrew Burnette <acb () acb net>
Date: July 3, 2007 10:38:39 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] The shopping carts have cooties.

Dave, et al,

numerous grocery stores are now providing (at least here in metro NYC area) sani-wipes for such handle cleanup purposes. Hand sanitizer or individual sani-wipes also work well I'm sure.

I've also noted extra waste cans placed near the exits in public bathrooms to allow you to use your paper towel to open the door, then toss said towel into the waste can. great thinking, as the door handle, and the sink fixtures are typically dirtier than the actual toilets.

Years ago (still common practice) while in high school, I cooked in a steakhouse. Standard procedure for cleaning in the bathrooms left the toilets sparkling clean twice daily, but never bothered with the faucet handles "unless" they needed shining.

Actually, many "24 hour" stomach bugs are actually food poisoning, and not an infection. General rule (from my PCP) is if you have a fever, it's likely a true bug, otherwise, it's simply food poisoning. Very common.

Cheers, and a happy healthy 4th to those in the US of A.
andy
p.s. white vinegar is a super inexpensive cleaner that can be safely used all around the house even with small children around. Works wonders, and even kills mold rather well (look for 5% acid concentration). Doesn't dry clean your lungs like bleach, and you can still use it on your salad;-)

David Farber wrote:
 The shopping carts have cooties.
According to studies done on shopping carts, more than 60 percent of them are harboring coliform bacteria (the sort more often associated with public toilet seats). “These bacteria may be coming from raw foods or from children who sit in the carts,” says Chuck Gerba, Ph.D., a microbiologist at University of Arizona. “Just think about the fact that a few minutes ago, some kid’s bottom was where you are now putting your broccoli.” According to studies done by Gerba and his colleagues at University of Arizona, shopping carts had more bacteria than other surfaces they tested—even more than escalators, public phones and public bathrooms. To avoid picking up nasty bacteria, Gerba recommends using sanitizing wipes to clean off cart handles and seats, and to wash your hands after you finish shopping.
http://health.msn.com/print.aspx?cp-documentid=100165289&page=0