Interesting People mailing list archives

Update on AT&T EDGE Failures

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 19:17:57 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: July 2, 2007 6:51:03 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Update on AT&T EDGE Failures

Dave, more info on the AT&T EDGE outage, on the first business day
after the iPhone activation blitz.

As reported earlier, at least the Central and Western U.S. areas
(including here in Los Angeles) reportedly have been (and apparently
are still being) affected.  Some users have seen sporadic periods of
operation, followed by failures.  In the case of my own EDGE (*not*
an iPhone) unit, I finally had a brief period of full data operation
a few minutes ago (after being down since this morning), but have
now lost the network completely again.

In some cases, users' phones are able to "login" to the network but
then cannot transfer data.  In other cases, the login procedure is
also failing.

AT&T claimed that they "beefed up" the EDGE network in preparation
for the iPhone launch -- but perhaps they used ground beef.  For
those of us who depend on phone data connectivity, this is not a
confidence-building development.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Founder, CIFIP
   - California Initiative For Internet Privacy - http://www.cifip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com