Interesting People mailing list archives

Widespread AT&T EDGE Network Failure?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 18:48:07 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lauren Weinstein <lauren () vortex com>
Date: July 2, 2007 6:20:45 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: lauren () vortex com
Subject: Widespread AT&T EDGE Network Failure?

Dave,

I'm getting reports of widespread AT&T/Cingular EDGE Network failures
today.  My own EDGE phone has been unable to connect to the network
since very early this morning.  I do not have independent confirmation
regarding the overall scope of the problem (more info below).

I find it interesting that this would occur the first business day
after the iPhone activation blitz.  As an AT&T customer who depends
on this data functionality of my phone, to say I am displeased
is an understatement.

 *** More reports just in.  At least the Central and Western U.S.
is apparently affected (including here in L.A.)

Some people are speculating that only iPhones are involved.  This
is not the case -- I most definitely do not have an iPhone.

Thank you for using the new AT&T.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren () vortex com or lauren () pfir org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
   - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, IOIC
   - International Open Internet Coalition - http://www.ioic.net
Founder, CIFIP
   - California Initiative For Internet Privacy - http://www.cifip.org
Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com