Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: You might be paying $1,000 per MB of SMS

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 07:41:56 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <bob37-2 () bobf frankston com>
Date: July 30, 2007 12:47:39 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Cc: dpreed () reed com
Subject: RE: [IP] You might be paying $1,000 per MB of SMS

David is right – the costs aren’t directly associated with the individual bit or even message. Determining cost is not at all simpler nor deterministic – it depends on the model you use and many assumptions. Pricing too is not directly related to cost. Ideally competition keeps the price in check but today’s telecom industry is defined by legislation more than marketplace dynamics.

The industry explains why it has to force us to pay for SMS as a service in slides I point to http://www.frankston.com/? name=AssuringScaricty. It make sense to charge prices based on the value of services – after all, does a restaurant charge you for the raw materials? The problem here is that there is no pushback from a marketplace because we don’t have access to the raw materials the carriers use - the physical transports.

While $1000/MB is outrageous, it’s really 10¢/message and most people have unlimited plans thus the apparent lack of rage. The number is important as a symptom of the larger problem of being forced to stay in the same service model we had with telegraphy nearly two centuries ago. The Internet had a different history – rather than trying to deliver specific solutions we discovered what we could do with the available cheap bits. If you wanted telephony you had to use the phone network. But things have come to a head because with a large number of bits, thanks to statistics, we can do telecom applications ourselves. This is why I found it so strange that people are fixated on regulating the industry into being neutral rather than questioning why are we stuck in the service model.

There is a cruel irony in SMS. In theory we’re paying a very high premium because the telecom industry guarantees delivery (Quality of Service) yet in this case computer IM is far more reliable since we use protocols that can confirm delivery and resend whereas SMS messages are often delayed and can get lost and MMS (the multimedia version) is a mess. You can get IM clients for smart phones but as long as most people have less capable phones (which are dependent upon telecom services) you have to use SMS.

As long as we frame the telecom debate in terms of services rather than basic connectivity we’ll find ourselves dealing with each symptom in isolation rather than effecting real change.