Interesting People mailing list archives

Forget neutrality - Keep packets private

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 11:04:07 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Daniel Berninger <dan () danielberninger com>
Date: January 15, 2007 5:11:00 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Forget neutrality - Keep packets private

Hi Dave,

For IP.  I have a post over at Gigaom.com pointing out developments that
threaten net neutrality also threaten privacy.

Best regards,

Dan

Daniel Berninger
VP, Sr Analyst
Tier1 Research
www.tier1research.com
dan () tier1research com
202.250.3838

http://gigaom.com/2007/01/14/forget-neutrality-keep-packets-private

Forget Neutrality - Keep Packets Private

Written by Daniel Berninger

- Posted Sunday, January 14, 2007 at 8:30 PM PT

Never mind net neutrality, I want my privacy. As in packet privacy. The
telcos say they need to sell non-neutral routing of traffic to recover the
cost of building broadband networks. Moving from the Internet, where a
packet-is-a-packet, to something that looks suspiciously like the 20th
century telephone network requires remarrying the content and connectivity
that TCP/IP divorced. It requires deep packet inspection. It requires
looking at the content of communication.

AT&T does not plan to roll out two physical pipes to every end point in
order to sell Google enhanced access. The new telco plan calls for
content-based routing to separate traffic into media and destination
specific VPNs (Virtual Private Networks). Laws exist to address the
substantial privacy threats created by the fact telephone companies know Mr.
Smith called Mr. Jones, but the privacy risks associated with "content
routing" replacing "end point routing" enter an different realm.

Coping with billing disputes still means retaining data. Under what
circumstances might a third party get access to the data derived from
content routing? Content routing in one context enables content filtering in another. Lessons Cisco accumulates in providing content filtering equipment
for the Great Firewall of China apply to directly to content routing
ambitions of telcos in the U.S.

<snip>