Interesting People mailing list archives

from a lawyer re: apparently many police depts feel they can ignore [f.o.i] laws

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:27:47 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Leslie <leslie.sussan () verizon net>
Date: January 14, 2007 6:17:49 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] re: apparently many police depts feel they can ignore [f.o.i] laws

If the people WHO violate the FOIA law are sworn police officers,
and, by that
swearing, they are sworn to uphold the law, and they are now
violating the law, I
wonder....

I wonder if that behavior is Perjury?

Any lawyers out there in IPland?

Bob Rosenberg

No, it is not perjury, in my opinion as a lawyer in IPland (and a former
federal prosecutor).  Perjury is nearly universally defined to be a
knowingly falsehood about a material matter while under lawful oath to tell the truth. Violating their oaths to uphold the law, if they did that, would not prove that they were knowingly lying at the time they took those oaths. Breaking promises may be bad in many ways but it does not constitute perjury unless the promise you broke was a legally binding oath to tell the truth about a particular matter and instead you purposely said something you knew
to be untrue.

I don't have easy access to the California rule in question but the penalty for improperly withholding access to records made public by law would have to be set out in the rule itself. It would also be necessary to see whether the law mandates instanteous access or provides some time frame to respond
and whether conflicting Privacy Law provisions may make public access to
some unredacted records problematic.

I certainly think that the last 6 years have seen a systematic weakening of federal FOIA compliance, with such highlights as an Attorney General said to have assured agencies that the Justice Dept would defend any withholding of information. It doesn't surprise me if the inevitable urge to cover up the embarrassing unless forced to expose it would tend to win out at the state
level as well in this environment.  But I don't think the answer lies in
perjury law.

Leslie Sussan