Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Redistricting: Problem and Proposed Solution

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 14:12:34 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: George Sadowsky <george.sadowsky () gmail com>
Date: February 15, 2007 2:05:47 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Stephen Unger <unger () cs columbia edu>
Subject: Re: [IP] Redistricting: Problem and Proposed Solution

Dave,

For IP if you like.

In 1964 I worked with Morris Davis of Yale University when he was appointed Special Master to the Connecticut Supreme Court to assist in resolving a politically charged discussion of how to redistrict Connecticut (6 Congressional districts, 169 towns) in anticipating of the 1966 national elections.

Along with my colleagues (of whom I remember Lois Frampton and Mike Hooven) and Morris, we investigated two methods of quasi-automatic redistricting not based upon any political considerations. The first was a rather elegant iterative linear programming method originally developed and used by Jim Weaver and Sid Hess in Delaware in which one estimated initial centers of the districts and them iteratively moved the centers and adjusted the boundaries to minimize the squares of the distances from the 169 Connecticut towns to those centers. Convergence and connectedness were always achieved, although the algorithm did not guarantee it. The result depended upon the initial centers chose, but only minimally, and the resulting districts, perhaps surprisingly, perhaps not, conformed roughly to sensible population groupings.

The second method depended upon repetitive scanning of the population centers by a combination of latitudinally and longitudinally scanning the towns and aggregating their populations. That work is described in "Legislative Districting by Computer," Jurimetrics, Vol. 8, No. 4, June 1968, pp. 77-98. The methodology is cruder than that of Weaver and Hess, but in fact gave quite reasonable (from the Court's point of view) results. The stability of the results using this method was slightly less that Weaver-Hess depending upon scanning direction, and we did not investigate solution stability based upon various rotations of the coordinate space.

Use of the two methods gave the Court what it wanted: a number of solutions that were based upon logic separate from any political considerations, and they used those solutions to fashion the final result. Of course, each of these solutions had political implications, but none of them remotely approached the contorted, twisted districts that we observe these days resulting from redistricting efforts.

Regards,

George