Interesting People mailing list archives

Scientific publishers hire master spin doctor !?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 09:52:17 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed () reed com>
Date: February 1, 2007 8:50:31 PM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Scientific publishers hire master spin doctor !?

IP readers might find this bit from Nature.com interesting ... apparently the truth is inappropriate for Wiley and others who want to keep their steconomic goldmine in scientific publishing. Truth in advertising: I believe that free access to scientific results is absolutely essential to science - scie4ntific publishing is incompatible with strong intellectual property rights in words and figures necessary to disseminate factual discovery But I guess we have them scared enough to fight dirty:

   PR's 'pit bull' takes on open access

/.... //Nature/ has learned, a group of big scientific publishers has hired [Eric Denzenhall, the pit bull of PR] to take on the free- information movement, which campaigns for scientific results to be made freely available. ...

... focus on simple messages, such as "Public access equals government censorship".

... publishers should attempt to equate traditional publishing models with peer review, and "paint a picture of what the world would look like without peer-reviewed articles". ...

http://www.nature.com/news/2007/070122/full/445347a.html

Archives: http://archives.listbox.com/247/