Interesting People mailing list archives

Boston Weekly Dig on TERROR HOAX OUTRAGE!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:03:52 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Robert J. Berger" <rberger () ibd com>
Date: February 2, 2007 3:01:29 AM EST
To: Dewayne Hendricks <dewayne () warpspeed com>, David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Boston Weekly Dig on TERROR HOAX OUTRAGE!

TERROR HOAX OUTRAGE!

by Joe Keohane2/1/2007

http://weeklydig.com/blog/articles/terror_outrage
I’ll proffer my comments on the marketing stunt perpetrated by the Cartoon Network (three weeks ago), but first, a sampling of the hysteria presently gripping our fair city.

“The hoax on us: But we’re not laughing”—Herald headline

“They can’t perpetrate a hoax like this on the public.”—Mayor Menino

“Scaring an entire region, tying up the T and major roadway, and forcing first responders to spend 12 hours chasing down trinkets instead of terrorists is marketing run amok.” –Rep. Ed Markey

“You’d have to go back to ‘War of the Worlds’ … We would all agree that this crossed a line.”—Jamie Tedford, Arnold Worldwide

“What our city experienced today is intolerable. The actions of this company for an apparent ‘marketing campaign’ not only inconvenienced our entire city but awoke painful memories of September 11th in so many hearts and minds. I look forward to the results of a full investigation.” --Boston City Council President Maureen Feeney

“OK, so when will the people of Boston see Ted Turner and his nitwit marketing gurus marched into federal court in handcuffs and leg irons? Because that’s exactly what should happen.”—Herald editorial

“It is outrageous, in a post 9/11 world, that a company would use this type of marketing scheme. I am prepared to take any and all legal action against Turner Broadcasting and its affiliates for any and all expenses incurred during the response to today’s incidents. Boston will look to coordinate our efforts going forward with Cambridge, Somerville and any other affected agencies.”—Mayor Menino, again

“Perpetrators of terror hoaxes face prison sentences of up to five years if convicted. Police arrested an Arlington man last night in connection with the ad stunt, but potential criminal prosecution is only one consideration. The tricksters at Turner, a unit of Time Warner Inc., should pay the bill for the consequences of a lame marketing gimmick.”—The Globe’s Adrian Walker

“Terrorism hoaxes are common. Two years ago, a drug addict and smuggler gave a fake tip about a terrorist incursion in Boston that led to another massive mobilization of law enforcement. In 2005, an angry deportee used a fake threat that forced officials to close a tunnel under Baltimore’s harbor. Turner officials say their devices were never meant to be seen as threats. Yet they find themselves in bad company.” – Globe editorial

“Let’s hope Mayor Thomas M. Menino’s planned lawsuit against Turner is successful to recoup the city’s damages, and his complaints to the FCC are heeded. Let’s hope that Berdovsky or whoever the little punks are that planted the 38 promotional cartoon ‘toys’ in Boston, Somerville and Cambridge will see the inside of a jail cell. ‘You cannot put a price on the harm that was done to individuals,’ Menino told me. He’s right. For all of us who lived through the horror of 9/11 and its terrible aftermath, that harm is immeasurable.”—The Herald’s Michelle McPhee

OK, folks. That’s quite enough.

I suppose it was inevitable that someday the pop culture gap would result in an entire city being shut down and the “perps” being frog marched into some Homeland Security gulag, but I had always hoped it would be a second- or third-rate hee-haw flyover city, not Boston.

Because what happened here was an embarrassment. Turner Broadcasting launched this marketing stunt in 10 cities and we were the only one that reacted like this. Some people are saying it’s to our credit that we’re so “observant,” but I have a hard time believing that any serious person could say that with a straight face. Plus the devices have been up for three weeks before we even noticed.

Next, let’s all get out our dictionary and look up “hoax”, shall we? Because while “War of the Worlds” was a hoax, this was not. There was no subterfuge involved, and no effort made to convince people that these devices were bombs. If I see a scary looking tree out my bedroom window, think it’s a monster, and then discover upon closer inspection that it isn’t, it doesn’t mean the tree has perpetrated a hoax against me. What it means is that for a moment I took leave of my senses. And just because I’m embarrassed about it doesn’t give me the right to go cut down the tree.

But that’s what our Mayor—who is often at his absolute worst in situations like this—is looking to do. Two kids who put the devices up have been arrested and are facing charges of placing a hoax device in a way that causes panic and disorderly conduct—charges that carry up to five years in prison.

But that’s not enough. The mayor also wants the half-mil the city blew thwarting the attack yesterday reimbursed by Turner Broadcasting and said he plans to push the FCC to revoke Turner’s broadcasting license, even though Turner—which owns TBS, TNT, CNN and Cartoon Network—is a cable provider and therefore not under the jurisdiction of the FCC.

What might be most telling about the mayor’s towering outrage, however, is found in the Globe’s lengthy report today: “Menino was also upset, he said, because top executives at Turner Broadcasting did not contact him directly to discuss what happened. The mayor said he did not receive a call from the company until about 9pm, and it was from a low-ranking press official.”

First these al-Cable bastards terrorize the city—or at least city and state officials, because as far as I could see there was no panic among actual citizens—then they have the audacity not to send Turner CEO Philip Kent over to City Hall in person bearing a fruit basket and a lengthy, teary apology. Well, act like a small-town mayor, and ye shall be treated like a small-town mayor.

The stunt wasn’t wise. It worked from a PR perspective, but people tend to slip easily into hysterics these days, and that should have been taken under consideration. Still, I have a hard time buying all this outrage. I’m guessing the better part of it stems from embarrassment at so grossly overreacting.

NOTE: For what it’s worth, the Globe’s Ideas blog (http:// www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/brainiac/)—which one Dig staffer just referred to as “a lone island in the shape of a brain over there”—got it right.

ANOTHER NOTE: The Washington Post is totally scoring off us on this one. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/31/ AR2007013102434.html)

Robert J. Berger - Internet Bandwidth Development, LLC.
Voice: 408-882-4755 eFax: +1-408-490-2868
http://www.ibd.com

Archives: http://archives.listbox.com/247/