Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The Great Firewall of Norway

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 12:06:46 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Simen E. Sandberg" <senilix () gallerbyen net>
Date: February 13, 2007 11:34:56 AM EST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] The Great Firewall of Norway

Dr. Farber,

this article requires an answer, as it includes a lot of factual errors.

The proposal is not at all sensible, as one of the members in the study
group says (in my translation): “[If we pass this as law], we will send
a signal that Norway want to be outside the information society, and not
take part in the Internet economy.”

After a lot of public debate in Norway yesterday and today, the
politicans will probably not accept the proposal anyway.

That said, the proposal is not as bad as Hansen gives the impression of.
I will try to clarify some points:

Norwegian readers should read the actuall proposal in NOU-2007-2 here:
http://www.regjeringen.no/nb/dep/jd/dok/NOUer/2007/NOU-2007-2/6/13.html
(Not available in English.)