Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: How the Republicans Invented the Internet

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:22:18 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Vince Golubic <vince_golubic () comcast net>
Date: February 12, 2007 2:09:08 PM EST
To: carl () media org, dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] How the Republicans Invented the Internet

[My $0.02 comments if this helps in any small way]:

Lessig gives a virtuoso performance here on June 16, 2006. First time I've
ever had the pleasure to hear him speak. Very heartfelt.

The ending of <creative commons> "network owner doesn't have control"
approach to the internet is certainly disturbing to me, being a proponent of
"network neutrality" democracy, freedom of speech and its creative
influences on society. But, it seems to me that even media outlets and shows like American Idol are an expression of this <RO> "creative commons" to a
certain extent, blended with viewer "balancing" of the judges opinions.

However, will the <lower half of society> win out and turn YouTube (another
"commons") into BoobTube? Or worse, erode society along with it
in ways we can't see 10 years ahead because our windows are foggy?

I'm personally in favor of a <RW> "network neutral" approach, however where society chooses to drive sometimes is what scares a little guy like me, when they are given free reign and start to steer..(thinking closed loop effects via the web in general). As an engineer I can assure you, there is no "one
single equation" that models the web as a stability control problem that
I've seen ..yet (let me know if there is).

My impressions of the current "content" internet direction is dominance by <RW> players [ex: YouTube, Blogger, MySpace, MSN etc] and even the <RO> like media outlets he mentions 'balancing' the <RW> process and content developed by an open multi-cultural society that needs "inclusiveness". The challenge?
What kind of society do we all want...

As a counterpoint to what Lessig says in his stark comparisons and examples
at the end:  Why does it have to be a win lose proposition for network
neutrality given the "selling of America's assets" as he suggests? Checks and balances in government and society, as any excellent lawyer as Lessig
knows is a foundational principle of democracy.

I applaud this video and its educational value. The ultimate challenge as I see the big picture at the moment is to make these <RO> and <RW> cultures along with <checks and balances> a part of the <RW> and <RO> outlet process
for culture, weighed by regulating bodies that don't abdicate
responsibility, but serves as a public benefit, keeping in mind the ideals
and goals of the <commons> where needed and even developing appropriate
"regulating mechanisms" to foster growth.

Vince Golubic
Proud Texas "Independent Thinker"