Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Nader's at it again

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:33:09 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: jordan pollack <pollack () brandeis edu>
Date: February 19, 2007 9:03:46 AM EST
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Nader's at it again

The problem is that the founder's idealistic belief that competition prevents monopoly of power (e.g. royalty) was wrong. Game theory proved that competitors always have Nash equilibrium strategies. In fact the Nash was originally modeled by Cournot's Duopoly model in the late 1800's, which was still a century after the fact. The two parties are "firms" which control the markets for candidates, seats, and districts, eand tune and channel tax revenues, bribes, and propaganda (political advertising) to maximize their market share by assembling constitutent blocs. They collude to exclude competitors.

When constituents split off to mount a third party candidate, whether Wallace, Perot, Jackson, or Nader, it merely weakens the affiliated firm, and that constituency (e.g. environmentalists) are punished. So the best play for any constituency is to have dual loyalties to prosper no matter which party is in ascendance.

Until we have a serious look at these game dynamics and modeling political firms, and build a provable model which gets implemented as a people's constitutional amendment, we are a screwed nation with a monopoly government, and guys like Nader only make things worse. While term limits, proportional voting, reforms of the electoral college, etc, are attempts, I havent' seen proof that they will break the duopoly.

Jordan

--
Professor Jordan B. Pollack   Dynamic & Evolution Machine Org
Computer Science Department   FaxPhone/Lab: 781-736-2713/3366

Archives: http://v2.listbox.com/member/archive/247/@now