Interesting People mailing list archives

Unlocked French iPhones Still Country-Locked to National Wireless Carriers

From: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 16:48:29 -0500

From: Sandra Keegan [mailto:sandra.keegan () gmail com]
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2007 4:29 PM
To: dave () farber net; ip () pdc co uk
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Unlocked French iPhones Still Country-Locked to
National Wireless Carriers

Paul,

I am a lawyer and I have worked in the European Commission for twenty years.
The free movement of goods (services, capital and persons) provisions of the
EC Treaty are addressed to (and legally constrain) the behaviour of States
and governments. That means that the measures which fall foul of these
principles are State measures only, not private company behaviours.

Commercial behaviours which are caught and prohibited by the EC Treaty are
found in the EC competition rules (Articles 81 and 82 EC) - known in the US
as antitrust law.  Unilateral (single company) behaviour which is
anti-competitive and restricts free movement of goods is caught/prohibited
under European law only when the company holds a dominant position in the
relevant market (like Microsoft or IBM).  Unless the French company/Apple
partner is dominant, its restrictive behaviour as to where its mobile
handsets will work is not prohibited under EC competition law (although
national consumer protection law may require otherwise:  in Belgium, all
handsets must be sold unlocked and there are NO subsidies for purchase).

Kind regards,
Sandra Keegan