Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Unlocked French iPhones Still Country-Locked to National Wireless Carriers

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 21:06:39 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Paul Davey <ip () pdc co uk>
Date: December 15, 2007 1:13:24 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip <ip () v2 listbox com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Unlocked French iPhones Still Country-Locked to National Wireless Carriers

At 14:50 15/12/2007, David Farber wrote:

Sad but a nice opportunity for competitors djf

Perhaps a nice opportunity for lawyers as well.

I'm not an a lawyer, nor even an expert, but a fundamental EU principle is freedom of movement of goods (not to mention services, people and capital). (Of course markets are served by national carriers.) Restricting use of a device (as opposed to a service) to national carriers only might be seen as impinging those rights.

It would be interesting to see if this policy could be challenged under EU law in that (as I understand it) as UK resident I should have the same opportunities to purchase goods and services from across the EU. One could argue that a French resident has better choice of goods than those in other countries do. But of course the right to purchase contract free is a French right, not an EU one.

Still I suppose we have the opportunity to use a French SIM for roaming but even at the EU capped voice roaming fees (between member states) but it would be expensive in data charges.

kind regards.
 Paul