Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: CMU Privacy-Enhanced Search Engine Study

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 10:35:35 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Nagle <nagle () sitetruth com>
Date: December 13, 2007 11:44:01 PM EST
To: Dennis Allison <drallison () gmail com>
Cc: dfarber () cs cmu edu, harraton () cmu edu
Subject: Re: Fwd: [IP] CMU Privacy-Enhanced Search Engine Study

Did you see what this "privacy enhanced search engine" actually does?

"We will be collecting the following information

   * Search query
   * Top 10 results
   * Time and date of the search
   * Date of search
   * Links clicked from the search results page
* Search preference settings and the time and date of changes to those settings"

"Privacy enhanced search engine", indeed.

If you want to read a hard-nosed approach to privacy and DRM from
the user side, see "http://www.natoonline.org";, under "Digital Cinema".
This is the National Association of Theater Owners telling Hollywood
how their DRM has to work. See page 12, for sections like this:

"The system shall be designed to push data to outside business entities per the needs of the exhibitor, and shall not allow outside business entities to pull data from the exhibitor?s equipment or from the premises without the express written permission of the exhibitor on a case-by-case basis. All such communications shall be recorded and shall be auditable by the Exhibitor."

Yes, the systems phone home to Hollywood, but only when the theater allows
a batch to be sent.  And the info is in XML, so the theater operator can
see what's being sent.

I'm working on an approach to a SiteTruth toolbar which distributes
the ratings through DNS, like a spam blacklist system.  Now that really
improves privacy.  Because of DNS caching, SiteTruth won't see who's
looking at what pages.

                                John Nagle
                                SiteTruth