Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: House vote on illegal images sweeps in Wi-Fi, Web sites

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 03:36:06 -0800

From: Brock N. Meeks [bmeeks () cox net]
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 12:03 AM
To: David Farber
Subject: Re: [IP] Re:  House vote on illegal images sweeps in Wi-Fi, Web sites

As along as we're getting into the weeds here, I think it should be noted
that the phrase below, "...is that it has some retention rules that forces
the private sector to retain child pornography images even after they
they've turned over the obscene material" isn't correct, if by "obscene
material" the writer is referring to child porn.

Obscene material is a very fluid subject, one that turns on community
standards. Indeed, the old war horses here have fought this battle (and won)
back when we had the Communications Decency Act struck down (or the majority
of that Act).

While child porn may very well be obscene, it is most certainly criminal and
should be referred to as "criminal material."