Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Brain Doping, or, The Futurological Congress

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 03:06:14 -0800

From: Bob Frankston [bob37-2 () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:11 PM
To: David Farber; 'ip'
Cc: dave () wilson net
Subject: RE: [IP] Re:  Brain Doping, or, The Futurological Congress

I can’t help but sense a moral agenda. There’s no clear line between drugs to correct deficits and those that provide
enhancement. There is an attempt to focus on the side-effects but these are not necessarily inevitable. Remember there
often serious side-effects of not taking drugs.

What I find disturbing is comparing intellectual performance with sports. In sports the focus is on a game and a level
playing field. If you have arthritis you can’t take a drug to enable you to perform at all. Tough break.

Why do we have the same attitude towards intellectual achievements? And why we do continue to see neurological and even
behavioral issues differently than correcting physical ailments? What’s the difference between performance enhancing
tutoring for the SAT and a drug that helps you focus during the exam?

We shouldn’t be at all casual about drugs whether the effect is on muscles or neurological functioning. But neither
should we dismiss them because there must be something wrong with taking them. Is cosmetic surgery, with its attendant
risks, immoral too?

What about other addictions like programming? The incremental rewards are very addictive … and when you stop you feel
disempowered.