Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: On the Cusp of the Future

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 14:06:04 -0800

From: Bob Frankston [bob37-2 () bobf frankston com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 4:52 PM
To: David Farber; 'ip'
Cc: 'Hasan Diwan'
Subject: RE: [IP] On the Cusp of the Future

I’m not sure if the implication is that such funding is good or bad but I’m glad to see that such cooperation is not as
favorable as it used to be even as, alas, we look for more government agenda-setting.

While there has been government funding in the US  much of it has been the MIC (Military Industrial Complex) that
Eisenhower warned us about. It has had some lucky successes as with the Arpanet/Internet (very different things) but as
I wrote in http://www.frankston.com/?name=IPGeni2 it has been a very corrupting influence in a number of ways. I use
MIT’s Athena as an example of the government funding classic research while the PC industry grew up outside this
control.

Even when it seems benevolent and far sighted as with Minitel it becomes problematic over time because, by its very
nature, such funding must become conservative if there is an well-defined agenda. The worst agendas are those that are
so implicit that don’t recognize them for what they are – government distorting reality. No surprise that I see Telecom
as an extreme example. Homeland security is looming just as a new book extolling Joe McCarthy has been published.

I’m not arguing for total noninvolvement – after all the government is a mechanism for acting collectively but we must
be wary about depending upon its ability to define the one true future.