Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: What Would Happen if You Bought 25 Bottles of Nyquil?

From: "Dave Farber" <dave () farber net>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 18:19:54 +0900

-----Original Message-----
From: Suresh Ramasubramanian [mailto:suresh () hserus net]
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2007 5:06 PM
To: Dave Farber
Cc: EEkid () aol com
Subject: Re: [IP] What Would Happen if You Bought 25 Bottles of Nyquil?

Cough syrup - with or without pseudoephedrine - is one of the most common
over the counter substances that get abused, especially by underage kids
(some addicts drink cough syrup by the bottle)

Cough medicine is basically "exempt controlled substances" - they contain
narcotics but some of them do get to be sold over the counter (while
others, which have much stronger narcotic content, can only be sold with
prescription).  But even there, the pharmacist generally has rules - state
level / set by the pharmacy board, that require him to check ID and log
such purchases, plus determine whether there is a legitimate medical need
for the purchase.

So, anybody at all who tries to buy bulk quantities of cough medicine needs
a bit more investigation from the pharmacist, even if they declare that
they are just going to blog about it and call the pharmacist staff "goons",
not chug down entire bottles or use them to cook meth.

It is either that or he risks losing his license, plus facing felony
charges. Besides liability suits from the parents of an actual addict who
OD's on 25 bottles of syrup.

Dave Farber [12/08/07 16:23 +0900]: