Interesting People mailing list archives

California voting systems code review released today

From: "Dave" <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 10:24:25 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt Blaze" <mab () crypto com>
To: "David Farber" <dave () farber net>
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 2:40 PM
Subject: California voting systems code review released today

For the last two months I've been part of a security review of the
electronic voting systems used in California. Researchers from around
the country (42 of us in all) worked in teams that examined source code
and documents and performed "red team" penetration tests of election
systems made by Diebold Election Systems, Hart InterCivic and Sequoia
Voting Systems.

The red team reports were released by the California Secretary of State
last week, and have been the subject of much attention in the nationwide
press (and much criticism from the voting machine vendors in whose systems
vulnerabilities were found).   But there was more to the study than
the red team exercises.

Today the three reports from the source code analysis teams were released.
Because I was participating in that part of the study, I've been unable
to comment on the review before today.  (Actually, there's still
more to come.  The documentation reviews haven't been released
yet, for some reason.)

Our reports are now available for download at
  http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/elections_vsr.htm

I led the group that reviewed the Sequoia system's code.

The California study was, as far as I know, the most comprehensive
independent security evaluation of electronic voting technologies ever
conducted, covering products from three major vendors and investigating
not only the voting machines themselves, but also the back-end systems that
create ballots and tally votes.  I believe our reports now constitute
the most detailed published information available about how these systems
work and the specific risks entailed by their use in elections.

My hats off to principal investigators Matt Bishop (of UC Davis)
and David Wagner (of UC Berkeley) for their tireless effort in putting
together and managing this complex, difficult -- and terribly
important -- project.

By law, California Secretary of State Debra Bowen must decide by tomorrow
(August 3rd, 2007) whether the reviewed systems will continue to be
certified for use throughout the state in next year's elections,
and, if so, whether to require special security procedures where
they are deployed.

We found significant, deeply-rooted security weaknesses in all three
vendors' software.   Our newly-released source code analyses address
many of the supposed shortcomings of the red team studies, which have
been (quite unfairly, I think) criticized as being "unrealistic".
It should now be clear that the red teams were successful not because
they somehow "cheated," but rather because the built-in security
mechanisms they were up against simply don't work properly.  Protecting
these systems under operational conditions will likely be very hard.

The problems we found in the code were far more pervasive, and much
more easily exploitable, than I had ever imagined they would be.

Our reports (linked above) should speak for themselves, but for
my personal perspective on the review, see my blog entry at
     http://www.crypto.com/blog/ca_voting_report/