Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: AT&T's 1993 "You Will" Ads -- no thanks to ATT!

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 22:38:01 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Adam L Beberg <beberg () mithral com>
Date: August 25, 2007 10:28:56 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: AT&T's 1993 "You Will" Ads -- no thanks to ATT!

The problem is, AT&T was right, there is no money in shuffling bits around, it's a commodity that you can only charge anything at all for because of geographic monopolies. Minus that, you converge on something that's free with a $7 coffee, or even free in the US cities that haven't banned it yet.

Ask any ISP how they make their money, and they will say they charge people for equipment and a tech support contract. The bits are free to the user, and a sunk cost of doing business. If you call them for support, that wipes out months of profit from your monthly fee.

We really are in a world now with wireless where the bandwidth is so cheap it doesn't matter anymore. What does matter is freedom to use it. To not be blocked from visiting sites by Cisco routers in China. To not have your copyright violation slowed by Comcast along with your Linux distribution. To not have all your traffic routed to the NSA by AT&T.

As for Apple, they know this too. You can pick up a phone with all the iPhone features and 50 more in China, made by the same people that make the iPhone no doubt. Just stand around Japan and wait for a teenage girl to discard one because it's an "old people" phone. But Apple is coolness itself. The deal with AT&T is mostly due to the dark ages status of wireless in the US, and the fact that AT&T is the only one with wide coverage, so they have Apple and their customers over a barrel. Didn't we break them up? We live in the cellular world of Japan in 1997, and the physical world of falling bridges. It's a national embarrassment to everyone but our leaders.

Oh, and the iPhone is unlocked with a wire, will NOT be permanently unlocked with software only, and certainly not worth dealing with AT&T over because they just don't get it. My friend just got a 30 page $200 bill, not green or correct.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/