Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Ohio University announces changes in file-sharing policies

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 11:23:30 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Paul Levy <PLEVY () citizen org>
Date: April 27, 2007 10:46:59 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Ohio University announces changes in file- sharing policies

"illegal" can mean many things.

The sale of prohibited drugs is a felony. Massive file sharing of copyrighted is a violation of civilly enforceable rights of the copyright holder, but is it a crime?

Defamation, sexual harassment, and invasions of privacy all violate civilly enforceable rights of their victims, and let us hypothesize that college students's emails commonly include statements that could be actionable if their victims found out about them and wanted to file suit. But I think we would generally think it improper if the government routinely inspected emails in the hope of finding violations of those civil norms.

Paul Alan Levy
Public Citizen Litigation Group
1600 - 20th Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20009
(202) 588-1000
http://www.citizen.org/litigation

>>> David Farber <dave () farber net> 4/27/2007 9:49 AM >>>

Begin forwarded message: