Interesting People mailing list archives

more on FCC wants to regulate "violence" on broadcast and basic cable TV

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 07:12:34 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Bob Frankston <Bob2-19-0501 () bobf frankston com>
Date: April 24, 2007 5:46:52 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: RE: [IP] more on FCC wants to regulate "violence" on broadcast and basic cable TV

Why all this effort for a la carte programming? There's this Internet thing and you just choose the video streams you want but I guess acknowledging that would require that the FCC admits that it is no longer hep.

We seem to be intent on going through the complex regulatory machinations to take a bad idea of having privileged service providers acting as gatekeepers and now micromanaging it rather than just severing the legacy link that ties bits to the particulars of the path.

But what does a la carte mean -- why stop at channels? That's a strange concept in its own right a channel is just another kind of content bundling. Why can't I just choose whatever packages I want from single shows to a season of a given sports league?

Why is the FCC redoubling its efforts to manage the most minute details of a marketplace? And now they want to offer us violence vouchers to control how much violence we see?

When does the whole idea of a Federal Speech Commission become sufficiently absurd for us to call the whole thing off?