Interesting People mailing list archives

New paper from Feldman/Halderman/Felten on Diebold AccuVote-TS Voting Machine

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 07:44:31 +0900

Begin forwarded message:

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: September 14, 2006 3:00:06 AM JST
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: New paper from Feldman/Halderman/Felten on Diebold AccuVote- TS Voting Machine

        Security Analysis of the Diebold AccuVote-TS Voting Machine
        Ariel J. Feldman, J. Alex Halderman, and Edward W. Felten
        http://itpolicy.princeton.edu/voting/

Abstract:

        This paper presents a fully independent security study of a
        Diebold AccuVote-TS voting machine, including its hardware and
        software. We obtained the machine from a private party. Analysis
        of the machine, in light of real election procedures, shows that
        it is vulnerable to extremely serious attacks. For example, an
        attacker who gets physical access to a machine or its removable
        memory card for as little as one minute could install malicious
        code; malicious code on a machine could steal votes undetectably,
        modifying all records, logs, and counters to be consistent with
        the fraudulent vote count it creates. An attacker could also
        create malicious code that spreads automatically and silently
        from machine to machine during normal election activities --- a
        voting-machine virus. We have constructed working demonstrations
        of these attacks in our lab. Mitigating these threats will
        require changes to the voting machine's hardware and software
        and the adoption of more rigorous election procedures.

---Rsk