Interesting People mailing list archives

Free Speech Express Article on FCC Regulation

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 17:10:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Randall <rvh40 () insightbb com>
Date: September 5, 2006 2:31:33 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net, dewayne () warpspeed com, cuckoosnest () riddlemaster org
Subject: Free Speech Express Article on FCC Regulation

http://htdaw.blogsource.com/post.mhtml?post_id=379361

Monday, September 04, 2006 at 11:20 PM EDT
COMMISSIONER QUESTIONS INDECENCY RULINGS

ASPEN, CO -- In a speech to the Progress & Freedom Foundation, Democratic FCC Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein warned that the FCC majority has gone too far in its recent broadcast indecency decisions, and that the agency risked having the courts take away the ability of the FCC to prevent the airing of indecent material.

"I believe that the Commission's last batch of decisions dangerously expands the scope of indecency and profanity law," he told his audience, "without first attempting to determine whether we are applying the appropriate contemporary community standards."

"The Commission's authority to regulate indecent content over the public airwaves was narrowly upheld by the Supreme Court with the admonition that we should exercise that authority with the utmost restraint," said Adelstein. "Given the Court's guidance in <http:// caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl? court=us&vol=438&invol=726>Pacifica, the Commission has repeatedly stated that we would judiciously walk 'tightrope' in exercising our regulatory authority. To put it simply, I believe that a 'rational and principled restrained enforcement policy' is not a matter of mere regulatory convenience; it is a constitutional requirement."

Adelstein particularly objected to the the FCC decision in which the acclaimed Martin Scorsese documentary /The Blues: Godfathers and Sons/ was found to be indecent.

"It was clear from a commonsense viewing of the program that coarse language is a part of the culture of blues musicians and performers," said Adelstein. "To accurately reflect their viewpoint and emotion for blues music requires the airing of certain material that, if prohibited, would undercut the ability of the filmmaker to convey the reality of the subject of the documentary."

As a result of that FCC decision, PBS must now decide what to do about documentarian Ken Burns's, /The War,/ a soldier's-eye view of World War II. According to <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/22/arts/ television/22pbs.html? ei=5065&en=0138f41b3bd4b616&ex=1154145600&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print >New York Times reporter Elizabeth Jensen, those who have seen parts of the 14-plus hours documentary, which took Burns six years to produce, say they are replete with salty language appropriate to discussions of the horrors of war. What viewers will see and hear when the series is broadcast in September 2007 is now an open question.

In addition to Commissioner Adelstein, numerous Constitutional scholars have suggested that the FCC is on thin ice in its approach to regulation of broadcast indecency. That view is reinforced by reading the words of Justice Stevens, capping the <http:// caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl? court=us&vol=438&invol=726>FCC v. Pacifica (1978) Supreme Court opinion which is the basis for the FCC broadcast indecency regulation authority:

"It is appropriate, in conclusion, to emphasize the narrowness of our holding. This case does not involve a two-way radio conversation between a cab driver and a dispatcher, or a telecast of an Elizabethan comedy. We have not decided that an occasional expletive in either setting would justify any sanction"

Adelstein's comments and text of the broadcast indecency part of his speech are from: John Eggerton, <http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ article/CA6365703.html?display=Breaking+News>Broadcasting & Cable, 8/24/06 Â

(Free Speech Express is free to Free Speech Coalition members. Contact sunlove () direcway com or 800-476-7813.)

My Original Writing blog: http://itgotworse.blogsource.com