Interesting People mailing list archives

Debate on the impact of global warming

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 11:27:55 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: franke james <franke () jamesgang com>
Date: September 5, 2006 8:23:10 AM EDT
To: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Debate on the impact of global warming

Dave,

I'm hoping the IP list will contribute to this debate on the impact of global warming. http://www.desperatemarketing.com/debate

QUESTION: Will green technology be the leading industry of the 21st century?

I’d place a bet that green technology will be the leading industry of the 21st Century (if we survive religious wars that is). Some people believe that the ‘green’ opportunity has already peaked. But I think we’ve hardly begun. We’re at the starting line for the ‘Carbon- Neutral Race’, and we’re not wearing state-of-the-art gear. What type of car do you drive? And how do you heat your house? If you answered ‘hybrid’ and ’solar’, good for you. But you’re in the minority. And that virtuous smug feeling will disappear as soon as you think about the infrastructure that underlies our major cities. We have a lot of work to do worldwide. As good as North Americans can be (hoping to reverse the damage done), remember that China and India are on the upswing in terms of energy consumption. Their growth-at-all-cost mantra will only increase the impact of global warming.

We need to be a lot more uncomfortable before radical change happens. The most dire effects of Global Warming, those that will make people change their lifestyles and force governments to legislate tough anti- global-warming policies are still down the road. And that is why I believe that global warming presents us with a great economic opportunity that will touch virtually every industry you can think of.

Much appreciated,

Franke

Franke James, MFA

Fear of global warming is rising. And where there’s fear, there’s opportunity.
http://www.desperatemarketing.com/global_warming.html