Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Pre-paid mobile phones

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 09:57:49 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh () hserus net>
Date: October 14, 2006 9:48:42 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Esther Dyson <edyson () edventure com>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on Pre-paid mobile phones

Not because of that actually

The physical verification of address part - that's because a racket was
busted where some people were stealing people's IDs and buying several
thousand SIMs using those IDs.  Some of these SIMs were then being sold
 to criminals and scam artists.

The others (postpaid sims, where you get a bill at the end of the month)
were being sold to various deadbeats, who'd make free calls for a month
and then some more days, till the service was cut off for non payment.

Cops trying to trace the owner of a phone that was used to make a ransom
demand homed in on a guy who was a laborer on a construction site (or
something similar) .. and then searched around, found that the guy had
over 3000 phones apparently registered to him.

This led to the arrest of a couple of cellphone store owners, and these
requirements were then put in place (at least the "insist on ID and
verification of ID when you buy a SIM").