Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Kroc money

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 14:05:42 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Kevin G. Barkes" <kgb () kgb com>
Date: October 28, 2006 1:26:19 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: RE: [IP] more on Kroc money

For decades J.C. Whitney, Radio Shack and other "electronic"
vendors have sold FM modulators. Now all of a sudden when
satellite radio is starting to pull listeners away from
terrestrial broadcasting, does anyone, let alone National
Public Radio, actually care about it?!?

Perhaps because the modulators sold by J.C. Whitney and Radio Shack adhered to FCC output requirements, while the signals being output by the satellite
FM modulators are way over the Part 15 limits.

My next door neighbor and I listen to an oldies station in a town about 40 miles away. We're on the fringe of their signal, but we both can generally
receive it ok.

One day I was in my office and heard a Sirius oldies show coming from my
radio. I wandered over to my neighbor's and, sure enough, he had a new
Sirius receiver. Its FM modulator was tuned to the fringe FM oldies
station's frequency out of convenience; when my neighbor wanted to listen to Sirius, he just fired it up and the modulator's signal easily overpowered the weak signal from the broadcast station. It also overpowered my tuner,
about 100 feet and two exterior walls away. I don't know what the Sirius
modulator was putting out, but I suspect it had to be well over 100
milliwatts.

We were able to equitably resolve the situation. But I can see where it
could be a problem, especially in an apartment building.

Not saying NAB and NPR aren't overreacting, but there are some real world
consequences that need to be acknowledged and corrected.

Regards,

KGB

-----
Kevin G. Barkes