Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Kroc money

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:02:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ethan Lindsey <elindsey () gmail com>
Date: October 28, 2006 11:13:53 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: more on Kroc money

Dave --
I am not going to argue over the terrestrial/satellite radio debate --
or choose sides on the NPR lawsuit over beefed-up FM modulators.

But using the Joan Kroc money as a catch-all complaint for the
problems with public radio is now one of the most misused and tired
arguments around.

NPR has, to a commendable degree, reinvested in its newsrooms
(http://www.nhpr.org/files/NPR%20Press%20Release.pdf) and yet smartly,
took the bulk of the money and invested in a way that will pay off for
listeners for generations, including those that will be listening to
NPR over satellite and the Internet.

To equate Joan Kroc's money with local pledge drives is to show a
misunderstanding of how public radio works. Those pledge drives help
YOUR OWN local public radio station buy NPR, PRI, and APM programming
like Morning Edition; if you live in San Diego you may have a
complaint, because Kroc donated a bunch to KPBS in San Diego as well.

But for all other local stations, the bulk of what the Joan Kroc money
did was, in fact, beef up the news staff and value of NPR programming.

ethan lindsey
Independent Radio Producer/berlin
http://www.ethanlindsey.com

---