Interesting People mailing list archives

more on a new DoD Internet voting scheme

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:29:33 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: gep2 () terabites com
Date: October 26, 2006 1:36:17 AM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Subject: Re: [IP] a new DoD Internet voting scheme

The bigger problem (and one for which there is ABSOLUTELY no technical solution whatsoever, and which by itself ought to be a deal- breaker) is very simply that there is NO conceivable way to make sure that the voter is not voting under duress.

There is NO way to ensure that the voter is not voting with a gun held to their head (figuratively, or even LITERALLY).

Their voting could be being "watched" over their shoulder by an employer, a health care giver, a welfare case worker, a parent, a child, a college professor, a landlord, a spouse, a union shop steward, or indeed almost anybody in a position of power and influence over the voter. There is no way to be sure that the voter is not "selling" their vote (for drugs, sex, alcohol, money, or whatever).

While the same argument can be made about mailin ballots in general, those in most places represent a small percentage of the total vote; if Internet voting were to become widespread, it could easily become 60% or more of the total vote, and with an inherent and uncontrollable risk of fraud... in fact, it would be an irresistable target for it.

One of the key things that happens in a poll location is that the election workers ENSURE that the voting is anonymous and private, and that when the voter leaves the polling place, NOBODY can find out how that individual voter voted.

It is EXTREMELY important that people understand the significance of this problem... that is why we MUST not allow Internet voting...!

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:25:54 -0400