Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Dynamic IP address confusion results in wrong family raided

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 09:29:53 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell () joe-job com>
Date: October 25, 2006 8:21:17 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net
Cc: ip () v2 listbox com, lauren () vortex com
Subject: Re: [IP] Dynamic IP address confusion results in wrong family raided

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 19:41 -0400, David Farber wrote:
This isn't funny anymore, if it ever was.  ISPs, search engines, and
other sources of retained Internet user activity data are being
treated as adjuncts of law enforcement, with the incredibly
dangerous and faulty presumption that such data will always be
accurate and reliable.

Even if the ISP data was correct, in an urban area it's very easy to end
up on your neighbor's wireless network and not even know it.  I was kind
of shocked to discover that a Mac will connect to the first wireless
network it sees.  From my place that's any one of 10-15, some of them a
block or two away (some of them have names that reveal their location).
Probably 25% are unsecured.

Lee