Interesting People mailing list archives

more on WaPo: Webb's name cut off from voting machines

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 14:40:17 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: October 24, 2006 2:31:31 PM EDT
To: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <joehall () gmail com>
Cc: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>, Dave Farber <dave () farber net>
Subject: Re: [IP] more on WaPo: Webb's name cut off from voting machines

On Oct 24, 2006, at 2:25 PM, Joseph Lorenzo Hall wrote:

Sounds to me like the vetting process failed when they changed the
font and didn't notice the Names Of Candidates were not appearing
properly.

This is where election systems get fun... you can imagine the names
they used were short in comparison, not actual candidates names.  Like
"Abraham Lincoln", etc.

Exactly what tests did they perform that didn't include reading the
screen?

That's part of the problem... the input in to the testing process is
confidential and proprietary (it's the vendors trade secrets), the
test plan is proprietary (the testing laboratories claim this as they
have to compete against each other) and the output test report is
proprietary (the vendors trade secrets).

A new system is currently being put into place where the input and
output would be public (and possibly redacted).  We're pushing for the
publication of test plans as well. -Joe

Sounds pretty friggin' pathetic to me.

This is the "protection" the federal gov't gives to our Most Basic and Important right?

Geezuz. Things are worse than I thought. (And I thought they were pretty bad....)

--
TTFN,
patrick