Interesting People mailing list archives

SiliconValley.com Microsoft chip lab: absolutely fabless

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 15:04:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

Microsoft chip lab: absolutely fabless: There's a new upstart in the semiconductor business: Microsoft. The company, which has long relied on Intel for its chips, has quietly established its own research labs, with an eye toward designing the chip that will power the next Xbox gaming console. Headed up by Xerox PARC veteran Charles "Alto" Thacker and longtime Microsoft researcher Rich Draves, the Computer Architecture Group, as it's tentatively named, will essentially transform Microsoft into a fabless semiconductor design firm, allowing it to explore new ideas in system design and more closely control the integration of hardware and software (I can't even begin to imagine what this heralds for DRM). "This is a historic time in the computer industry," said David Patterson, a computer scientist at the University of California, Berkeley. "We're in the middle of a revolutionary change toward parallel computing that will absolutely involve both hardware and software."