Interesting People mailing list archives

more on Tazer at UCLA

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 06:00:58 -0500

Begin forwarded message:

From: Jacob Appelbaum <jacob () appelbaum net>
Date: November 16, 2006 6:48:18 PM EST
To: dave () farber net
Cc: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <joehall () gmail com>
Subject: Re: [IP] Tazer at UCLA

The media office apparently gave me an email address that bounced
(chancellor.ponet () ucla edu), so I've included a different one in this email.

David Farber wrote:

Requested anonymity

Begin forwarded message:

For IP, what appears to be an outrageous use of a "tazer" against a
proposed UCLA student in Powell.

YouTube Video clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyvrqcxNIFs

UCLA's response:
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/page.asp?RelNum=7513

Obviously a lot of unanswered questions here, but troubling none the less.

I called UCLA ( media relations office - +1-310-825-2585 ) and they
pointed me to a press release by the police themselves:
http://www.ucpd.ucla.edu/ucpd/zippdf/2006/Taser%2011-15-06.pdf

When I voiced my concern about how the student was treated and that I
felt the officers should be dismissed, I was informed that it would be
prudent to write the UCLA chancellor (chancellor () conet ucla edu ).

Regards,
Jacob Appelbaum